Are you looking out for the Best Life Jacket? Well, you reached the right place then. From the usability to the working mechanism of the life jacket, every minute detail has been shortlisted for you. Often known as a life vest and even a Personal Floatation Device (PFD), a Life jacket is a quintessential wearable gear used while boating, fishing, kayaking, canoeing and majority of the water sports.
Comfortable Self Inflatable Life Jacket : A Quick Comparison
Cool Self Inflated Life Jacket Reviewed
Stearns, the best teen life jacket brand itself is legendary. From offering distinct to high quality vests, it is recognized as the owner of PFD market. Being into business since 1920’s, Stearns has manufactured ultimate life vests with extraordinary features. Stearns Child Classic Series Vest is one of the best life jackets available for children as per cutting trends.
Specifications & Features:
- The very first feature of Stearns Child Classic Series Vest is that it is approved by the US Coast guard. Hence, it is the most trusted PFD for children.
- The life jacket is designed in such a way that it provides a custom and comfort fit to the kids ranging between 30-50 pounds.
- Greater arm movement and spine support has been proposed by the jacket because of open ends and 3 flexibly adjustable chest belts.
- To avoid a face down in the water, a crotch strap or a leg strap is provided which keeps the jacket tight and prevents it from riding up.
- Constructed with polyester and PE floatation foam, it is highly durable in nature and hence can be used every season without any doubt.
- Along with a 1 in the webbed strap, sturdy buckles are used for closing the jacket and high-quality Nylon is used as a cover material.
- It is considered as the best life vest for adventure sports mainly boating, water rafting, skiing and even preferable on a beach too. Stearns Child Classic Series Vest is available in variant colors.
Stohlquist’s products define pure designing, craftsmanship, commitment, and reliability. They are known for their excellence in the field work. Stohlquist Unisex Infant/Toddler Nemo Infant Life Jacket/Personal Floatation Device is a masterpiece designed especially for infants and toddlers. With innovative manufacturing idea, Stohlquist has come up with this special life jacket in the marketplace and undoubtedly, their idea was worth the cost.
Specifications & Features:
- The Nemo is one of the best from the unisex thin life jackets with US Coast Guard and Transport Canada approval proving its reliability and trustworthiness.
- It is a type 2 life jacket crafted with 200D Nylon outer shell and 200D Oxford Liner It is very light in weight offering a great deal of comfort and ease to the infants/ toddlers.
- The security mechanism of Stohlquist Infant Nemo Personal Floatation Device is commendable. A quick release buckle is provided at the entry point over the zipper. It provides a custom fit for the kids.
- The uniqueness of the jacket is evident from a wrap around floatation scheme which helps in turning the child’s face up whenever an unfortunate circumstance occurs. Moreover, a dual support collar is provided to support the baby’s head.
- An adjustable crotch strap along with a strong handle which can be used to grab the kid inside the water is a plus point of Stohlquist Infant Nemo Life jacket.
- Nemo easily fits a child of 3 months and is even adjustable to children ranging from 30 to 50lbs.
- This life jacket is equipped with a sea level buoyancy factor and is available in very bright colors which offer high visibility in case of any trouble.
No products found.
Hardcore water sports is a renowned name in the adventure series. Getting recognition from such a grand establishment is a privilege in itself. These life jackets are recommended by Hardcore Water sports. The availability of diversity in the range of Hardcore Adult Youth Child size life jackets grabs the crowd and that is its USP too.
Specifications & Features:
- Hardcore life jackets are USCG approved and are Type III vests. They are the best life jackets for adults specifically suggested to use on a boat for saving purposes and to serve as back up.
- The unique feature of these life jackets is that they come in variant sizes. From an adult to younger ones, they are manufactured keeping the scale of chest size. Adult universal jackets for chest size 32″-50″, youth jackets for weight 50 to 90 lbs and Adult super large jackets for chest size 50″-60″ are readily available.
- Full body coverage is provided with the help of long-span construction. The hard shell and excellent polyester material are used to keep it working every now and then. However, the weight of the jacket increases because of this and it seems difficult to wear for a long time.
- Hardcore life jackets are majorly heat resistant. They can bear the hot temperatures. Safety measures are enhanced with secure 1-inch webbing.
- The jackets are available in a wide range of colors and hence it offers an option of choosing high visibility by further choosing bright and neon colors.
Stearns Adult slim life jacket is specially manufactured keeping in mind the adjustability factor for all. Stearns has taken up an initiative to design PFD’s for oversized people. As it is a bit difficult to go out of the box and produce PFD’s for people who suffer major comfort issues. Stearns Adult Classic Series Vest is an exemplary output generated as a result of Stearns efforts.
Specifications & Features:
- Stearns Adult Classic Series Vest is authenticated by US Coast guard. The strong build and sturdiness of the vest been very well synchronized with ease to carry.
- Manufactured with Nylon and Polyester shell, it provides an all day long comfort. A great level of buoyancy factor is facilitated with the help of floatation foam.
- Crosstech Floatation foam which is the core of this PFD makes the jacket durable and useful for multiple seasons.
- Security of the jacket is ensured by a three-buckle design which not only safeguards the person wearing it, in addition, provides a tight fit.
- Open-ended design is one of the key features of the Stearns Adult Classic Series Vest. It provides a great room for freehand movement and eases out breathability too.
- It is highly preferable for individuals weighing 90 pounds or even more. Being a universal adult jacket, at times, it misfits the youth and is a comfort fit for mainly people with chest sizes ranging from 52 to 62 inches.
- Stearns Adult Classic Series Vest is a best kayak life jacket.
ONYX is a well established brand and manufactures life jacket for kayaking womens. It’s General Purpose Boating Universal Adult personal flotation device is one of the designers crafted products. From boating to fishing and water rafting to swimming, it manufactures products for the majority of sports activities.
Specifications & Features:
- ONYX General Purpose boating life jacket made for Adults is a type III personal floatation device. Approved by USCG, it is universally wearable.
- This adult universal jacket is multi-functional. Reason being, it can be used efficiently in the majority of water acts such as boating, canoeing, swimming and so on.
- With flexible belts and buckles, it offers a factor of adjustability. However, the topmost buckle creates an obstruction for movement and freeness.
- Undoubtedly, big arm holes are provided for ease in wearing. However, it cannot be customized as per convenience.
- It is advised for people over 90lbs having 40-60 inches chest.
- For a safe and secure construction, quality material is used. However, a limited color choice is available.
ONYX MoveVent low profile life jacket is a special product of ONYX. With a unique feature of the movement, this life vest grabs the attention of both water-loving and non-adventurous people. Down the line, ONYX has been involved in producing innovative life jackets and ONYX MoveVent Curve Paddle Sports Life Vest is one of that.
Specifications & Features:
- It is USCG approved Onyx MoveVent Curve Type III PFD.
- A fact it is that ONYX’s MoveVent Torsion life vest is one of the most unique personal flotation devices. Formed basically to provide maximum free movement in extreme exertions.
- It actually looks like a glove and fits in the same manner. Designed on a venting technique, it does offer a cooling effect by passing the air through the net.
- Foam – Both Bubble and Floatation foam are used in crafting ONYX Life Jacket on the inner side of PFD. Moreover, neoprene pads are used to support the shoulders.
- With adjustable belts on the sides, a mesh is present in the lower back. Even though it provides great ventilation, but even a small cut in the mesh can reduce it’s functioning. Hence, a tender product for rough waters.
- 200D Nylon Oxford and Nylon ripstop are used in manufacturing the vest. In addition, SOLAS reflective material is an elixir for the jacket.
- It provides an excellent mobility for recreational paddle sports (canoe, kayak, SUP) and available in variant sizes and colors.
With a giant brand name Coleman, Stearns flotation vests for adults stays in the lime light. It is majorly preferred by adults as is one of the custom fits of Stearns. From child vests to adult universal vests, Stearns masters all with great perfection and style. Stearns Adult Watersport Classic Series Vest is a mixture of both.
Specifications & Features:
- It is a US Coast Guard approved life jacket and hence, is considered reliable for saving lives in case of any dangerous situation.
- It is wearable on beaches too along with boating and water skiing.
- It can be worn by both men and women. Hence, even a single piece is used for both. Being available as a universal size set for people over 90lbs, it is not mandatory it will fit the people wearing it ( can be loose or tight).
- 200D nylon shell with PE foam is used to make the jacket but the durability factor is not promised by the product.
- Even though 4 in 1 webbed adjustable straps with open ends are available, still it feels like a trap at times and suffocates the person wearing it.
- A custom and comfort fit can be created but with an alteration.
Kent has manufactured the best life jackets for jet skis. It is a commercial product of Kent. With a focus on the design pattern, it is crafted particularly for oversized people, this jacket somewhat seems the one which can help them greatly in water events.
Specifications & Features:
- It is a Type III life jacket or Personal Floatation Device with a valid approval of US Coast Guard.
- It is created with durable PE foam. Moreover, Denier Nylon fabric is used for outer covering. It stays as it is for a longer span.
- Encircling belts and a chest strap, each of 1” is provided in ONYX Life Vest. A three buckle design format is followed keeping in mind a strong grip and a comfortable fit while playing in the water.
- You will feel glad to know that Vinyl piping is embedded around the arm sections. But, unfortunately, it somehow increases the weight of the jacket and makes it difficult for the one who wears it, especially in summers.
- Available in a limited range of colors, it still makes use of retroreflective material, both on the front as well on the back side to improve the visibility in case of any trouble.
- It can be used for boating and general purposes by the people who need a 2XL size with over 90 pounds weight and having chest sizes from 40”- 60”.
Kent has come up with this idea of a combo which includes a couple of self inflated life jackets and other useful accessories in a storage bag. Well, true to say, it is a great asset for people who spend the majority of their time on boats. This storage bag is full of Type II Adult Life Jackets with a standard cushion.
Specifications & Features:
- The authenticity of this whole magical storage box can be judged from the fact that each element of this bag is approved by US Coast Guard whether they are life jackets or boat standard cushion.
- Undoubtedly, an imported kit it is with Kent type II Adult Life Jackets and with Clear Storage Bag. Definitely, great storage capacity with variant accessories.
- 4 Life jackets which are 200D Nylon and PE foam made with 15.5lbs of buoyancy and a boat cushion are provided. No wonder that it is a great kit to have on your boat.
- The jackets can fit adults and often helps in saving the unconscious persons floating over the water. Even though they work best as per their ability, the material doesn’t offer a highly durable factor.
- Kent Type II Adult Life Jackets are Comfortable and easy to wear. The strap over the storage bag helps in carrying it anywhere with ease.
- This kit is often suggested for inland, cool and recreational locations to avoid the unnecessary burden and hustle tussle.
- The whole kit is of orange color and stays behind in cosmetic styling and smart look aspects.
Stearns Youth Boating Vest manufactures best life jacket for water sports and is designed keeping in mind the casual attitude of youth while playing in water in any form. They often care less for their lives and hence, to safe guard them; Stearns manufactured the Youth Classic Boating Vest.
Specifications & Features:
- Constructed with Crosstech floatation foam, Stearns Youth Classic Boating Vest is designed imitating the adult vests.
- The durable foam helps in keeping you at the surface instead of a face-down whether in lakes, pools, rivers and so on. Hence, a safeguarding mechanism is evident.
- With Nylon usage, adjustable belting system and 3 sets of buckles, Stearns tried its best to create a comfortable fit for the one who will wear it.
- Being a Type III jacket which is actually suitable for waterskiing and water rafting, it is approved by the USCG.
- Even though a secure webbing system is formed to comfort the user, at times it tends to loosen its strengthening effect.
HOW It WORKS
Most often, we heard about a scientific phenomenon referred to as Buoyancy. Life jackets work on the same principle. Let me make it simple for you. Buoyancy is basically an up thrust or a force for an immersed object. And if we talk about, life jackets, well certainly, they offer a great amount of floatation factor or high buoyancy which doesn’t let an object drown in water.
Once you wear a life jacket, it automatically adds additional floating capacity and hence, you will stay up at the water surface. It may sound exceptional, however, different individuals require a different amount of buoyancy to keep their head above the water. For a common adult, only 10 pounds of buoyant factor works, whereas it differs for people with high body fat. Lung size, water statistics, and clothing conditions to hold an important place in saving scenario.
Buoyancy is majorly provided by vests in three possible ways which are as follows:
- Inflation Based – Such life jackets comprise of gas chambers. They are either filled with air or an appropriate gas. They offer two inflation modes – Manual and Automatic. It is always suggested not to allow teenagers to wear inflatable life jackets. Surprisingly, they are lighter in weight but are kept under supervision, every now and then.
- Inherent Based – Such life jackets offer the best floatation. It is the most common style of vests preferred by both kids as well as adults. Undoubtedly, it is the heavier one, however, highly reliable too. It does not require any inflation and helps you float because of foam and that too without any effort.
- Hybrid Based – Such life jackets are manufactured with both foam and gas chambers. They are antique and hence are expensive too. They require regular inspection and reliability checking.
Some Factors To keep In Mind while Choosing Cool Life Vests
The following are the different life jacket types:
- Type I PFD (Off-shore Life Jacket) – Type I life jackets and vests are most commonly used and highly reliable. They offer the highest buoyancy factor and hence are used for offshore purposes such as open waters, rough and dangerous seas, and remote areas. They are suggested for loners, people who often boat and fish alone so that their lives can be saved if immediate rescue is not possible. Type I PFD’s are designed with extra fabric and foam material so that body heat can be retained in case of an unconscious wearer. They are bulky yet excel in saving lives.
- Type II PFD (Near-shore Buoyancy Vest) – Type II life jackets are the first preference for children. They are used for near-shore purposes. Straightly, for the places where immediate rescues are possible at a high end. Undoubtedly, they are more comfortable in comparison to Type I life vest, however, they offer less floatation. They work best for the kids and children as their body weight is less than the adults.
- Type III PFD (Flotation Aid) – Type 3 life jackets are the most popular, majorly, because of the comfort and lightweight. They offer almost the same floatation as that of Type II life vest. However, cannot turn an unconscious wearer up to the surface. The person has to tilt his/her head back to be at the safe side. These vests are often used for water sports ranging from boating to canoeing and much more.
- Type IV PFD (Throw Able Device)– Type IV life jacket is not actually jackets or vests. They are more like additional assets that are kept under the belt for troubled times in the boats. These devices are designed to put forth a throw to someone in need, however unconscious. They are either in a ring shape, a cushion form or a horseshoe format. They work as a backup for jackets and are inexpensive.
- Type V PFD (Specialty Use Device) – Type V PFD’s are very specific in nature. They often comprise of a full deck suit, floating coat, paddling or various vests and hence are used for water skiing, surfing, and kayaking.
Life-saving Life Jackets comes with a variety of sizes, varying as per different age groups as:
- Infant/Toddler (8-30 lbs) – Life jackets meant for babies is classic fit life vests. These jackets particularly fall in the Type II category, which is meant for those who are not impulsive to fight and save themselves at any cost. The infant life jacket smartly fits those who are more than 18 pounds and provide the results as expected. These are typically sized by weight. It comes with –
-Floatation collar to keep their heads up the water.
-A crotch strap to secure them by getting tied tightly up with their body.
-A grab loop to quickly take them out of the water if they fall in.
- Child (30-50 lbs) – Child life jackets are suitably fit under category Type III. It is particularly meant for young children about 3-6 years old. These are more comfortable and meant for water safety issues only. It is specifically used to teach children a technique of swimming. It does not allow the child to flip on his/her back if he/she falls in the water.
- Youth (50-90 Lbs) – The good life jackets for youth comes in to picture when a child outgrows the life vests for kids and does not get fitted in available sizes and models. It is a high-performance life vest and carefully designed for letting the child enjoy freely in his/her own way without sacrificing protection. This jacket comes with a heavy-duty zip and a waist belt for safety and security purposes, complete with a quick-release buckle. Also, the shoulder area is always padded that adds an extra safety layer to it.
All these life jackets should get experimentation in the swimming pool first under the keen observance of coast guard and parents before actually getting into real shores.
The life jacket is not a new innovation and invention, therefore, a variety of sophisticated materials can be used for its construction.
- Nylon – It is a synthetic and silky type material that can be melted and processed into fibers, films or shapes. Often considered as inexpensive, it is highly used for making life jackets. Its lightweight property makes life jackets easy to wear and carry. It is considered as best for all paddle sports.
- Neoprene – It is a synthetic rubber which is formed by the polymerization of chloroprene. Life jackets made up of Neoprene offers a great amount of chemical stability and reliable for a wide range of temperatures. They generate higher buoyancy and are more comfortable in comparison to Nylon jackets. They stretch slightly at times and do take care of the warmth of the body in the water itself. Life jackets made up of Neoprene are considered as best for water sports and especially for Women.
Extra Features That Every High Quality Life Jacket Should Have?
From the comfort to the usability of a personal flotation device, every bonus feature has been listed below which are very useful in order to take full advantage of a life jacket:
- Pockets – Just like any other cloth, pockets are provided in life jackets too. They are given for placing things and warming hands whenever required.
- Fishing Holders – Various loops and tools can be hung to life jackets with the help of hooks and holders.
- Reflective Tape – The major reason behind the popularity of life jackets is its reflective tape or ribbon which provides better visibility at night time. It helps lifeguard in recognizing danger at night time or otherwise in order to save lives.
- Segmentation – Majorly, life jackets are made up of foam and when foams are cut into particular pieces to make small segments, it is known as segmentation. This makes a life jacket more comfortable to wear, even though segmentation is a bit costly affair at the back.
- Colors – Life jackets are dressed up in bright colors so that anyone who is in trouble can be found out easily.
- Tabs – Tabs are very useful. They allow a person to not only attach knives and tools but whistles and other accessories too.
- Mesh Drain Panels – These panels’ bits of help in drying a jacket. It is made for draining water.
- Zipper & Buckle Quantity – The number of buckles will be there, the more fit a jacket will be and the zipper will make a jacket easier to handle.
CARING FOR A LIFE JACKET
Keeping a check on the wear and tear of the jacket will maintain it for a long time. Be aware of any tear or leakage in the jacket. Avoid sunlight for longer periods and possibly keep the jacket in cold places with full ventilation. Dry the jacket fully before storing and most importantly, as soon as the buoyancy factor of the jacket starts decreasing, make sure to replace it with a new one. Your life will be on a safe side.
How Much Weight It Will Hold Up In The Water?
It has been concluded that on an average a 200-pound person or adult weighs around only 10 pounds whenever stays in the water. So, in order to keep a person of 10 pounds afloat, a life jacket offers almost 22lbs of buoyancy.
Difference Between A Regular Oversized & Tall Oversized Life Jacket?
A life jacket comes in many sizes for people of different age groups or you can say people having a different physique. From a fit to an obese person, life jackets come for all. You may wonder that both regular oversized and TALL oversized life jackets are available in the market. An oversized life jacket is good for people who can afford to wear a short jacket. However, people having a tall stature and more weight often complain that their belly is not fully covered and the jacket feels shorter and doesn’t feel comfortable. Hence, tall oversized jackets have been created in order to cover up the cosmetic as well as the technical aspect of the regular oversized jackets.
How to Choose Perfect Life Jacket For Your Safety - Watch it!
It is evident that life is priceless and once saved, can generate multiple assets for a long span. So, whenever you decide to take on the adventurous phase of your life, make sure to make it safe for you and your loved ones. Deliberately, choose to swim across the ocean of life wearing the most reliable jacket of life. Yes, a LIFE JACKET. Go ahead, SAVE LIFE – WEAR LIFE. From the above-explained best life jacket reviews, you can easily choose the perfect life vest for you or for your child.
Our Most Popular Reads: